If you just want the recipe, scroll down to the Recipe heading 🙂
When it comes to cleaning, it can feel like it would take a whole lot of time and effort to create your own diy cleaning solution or product. After all it must require some harsh ingredients that can kill germs and target all that grease and those stains that most commercial cleaners must use, right?
Well no, to make your own cleaner takes only a few minutes and you only really need one main ingredient, that you probably already have at home, and it is non toxic and safe to use everywhere. Did you guess it? All you need is white vinegar. White Vinegar can dissolve mineral deposits from various things, as well as target grease and mold due to its acidic nature and antibacterial properties.
Other ingredients that can be added are bicarbonate soda and lemon juice to give the solution a bit more strength, for example when tackling very greasy problems.
Remember to try re fill your vinegar bottles at a zero waste store rather than keep buying new bottles.
DIY Cleaner Recipe
- White Vinegar
- Bicarb soda (Optional)
- Lemon juice/Lemon peels (Optional)
- Essential oil for scent (Optional)
You will also need a small spray bottle. Try re-use an old one if you have some lying around.
- Fill the 1/2 – 3/4 of the spray bottle with vinegar, and the rest with water. So simple.
- If you want to add the bicarb for a bit more oomf in the cleaner, add 1 – 2 teaspoons into the vinegar. It will start to fizz a bit, add the water and let it stop fizzing before closing the bottle, otherwise the pressure will build up.
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to give the cleaning liquid a wonderful scent.
- (Optional with Lemon) If you have a whole lot of lemon peels or citrus peels, soak the peels in the vinegar for about a week or so, and then use that liquid in step 1. Alternatively you can also add the juice of one lemon to the solution.
There you have it, easy and simple and perfect to use anywhere in the house with no worry of toxic chemicals finding their way on to your skin or food. Happy cleaning!